Ok, enough heavy blogs, it's time for a nice and easy, yet delicious, cookie recipe.
I went looking the other day for chocolate chips, in the mind to make chocolate chip cookies.
I went to no less than four supermarkets around me, including Metro, and I could not find chocolate chips anywhere. But a bag of shredded coconut caught my eye, and I figure hey, why not try coconut cookies? I left with the bag of shredded coconut, hoping that the recipes I found wouldn't require any unusual ingredients.
Fortunately it didn't, and this is a great recipe for coconut cookies. I tweaked it after the first batch, and the result was perfectly chewy, delicious coconut cookies.
** Ingredients **
- 1 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 a cup of butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
** Directions **
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit (175 degrees C) I reduced this heat, my oven cooks too quickly from the base, so I dropped it to about 150 Celsius - helps with a chewier cookie
- Mix together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Slowly blend in the flour. The mixture will be quite hard, if you're having troubles stirring it just add a dash of milk.
- Add Coconut (And chocolate if you want ;) )
- Drop mixture of about a teaspoon full of batter onto your baking sheet. (Here's a little hint...have you ever noticed how some people's cookies come out almost perfectly round every time? Like frustratingly perfect looking cookies? I always had that problem, mine were still delicious, but looked "odd." With this batch, I rolled them in my hands once or twice to make little balls of dough. The result? Well...you tell me. :D)
Bake the Cookies for approximately 8 - 10 minutes. (I baked mine a little bit longer as the temperature was lower. About 12 minutes) If your cookies are finished, when inserting a toothpick into the center, it should come out clean.