Saturday, January 28, 2012

Where to Go - Dahab edition

I know, I know, it's taken me a while to get to this blog. It feels like January has just flown by! I think everyone in Egypt has been on pins and needles waiting to see what the 25th of January would bring that everything else has somewhat fallen by the wayside. I'll post a blog later on my own impressions of the 25th January anniversary, but that's not what this blog is about.

So, as I previously posted, K and I headed to Dahab for the Christmas break to meet up with my family. It was absolutely wonderful, and there are so many wonderful things to do and see there. For anyone who has never visited the Sinai resort town, I would highly recommend it. Generally it is known for being a dive town, with some of the world's top dive destinations located in and around the Sinai Peninsula. But even for those who aren't divers, Dahab has a great deal to offer.

Conveniently located surrounded by both mountains and sea, you'll find things like Kite surfing and wind surfing to mountain hiking and desert trips are all offered in the Dahab area. For this first edition of Where to Go Dahab, I want to recommend one of the highlights of our trips - quadbiking.

Now living in Hurghada there are a lot of places that offer quad biking, but for some reason we'd just never gotten around to doing it. My mum suggested we try it in Dahab, and I am so so glad we did. Not only do you get fantastic panoramic views of the area, you're taken into the mountain passes to a little Bedouin camp for a cup of tea. And I highly recommend the Bedouin tea, there's something very earthy about it - it's even more evident with no sugar.

For less than 50 dollars we were able to rent 2 quadbikes for the four of us, and rotated drivers throughout the two hour trip. We crossed desert terrain, up into the mountains, drove on the roads (hair-raising!!) and down along the beach. It's a great family outing and ideal for adventure "enthusiasts." We used the Quad Trax company based in the Yasmina Hotel. If you want more information you can contact them via email at dahabquadtrax@yahoo.com or on telephone number 012 872 5054.

Happy trails!!

No comments:

Post a Comment