Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ginger snaps

It's that time of year again when baking becomes a natural past-time. This year I'm embarking on making a new selection of goodies, including minced pies, of which I will post the recipe later. 

A few years ago I posted a recipe for Sparkling Ginger Cookies, and although this is similar, these Ginger Snaps are in a league of their own. I have had multiple people who have tasted these request the recipe, so your wish is my command! Below find the recipe for a delectable Christmas treat, sure to go over well with any crowd. As per usual, I found an original recipe (in this case in the Joy of Cooking) and altered it to fit my needs - and through trial and error. In my opinion their recipe had too much ginger; it made the cookies far too spicy, so I reduced quantities as necessary. 

Here's what you'll need. 

**Ingredients**
1 3/4 cups fine baking flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves 
6 tablespoons softened butter (unsalted)
3/4 cup white sugar (or you can do half white half brown)
1 large egg
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice


**Directions**

Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit (176 Celsius). Although Joy calls to grease a cookie sheet, I have found that the butter already in the recipe makes it so the cookies don't stick as it is. So it's your call to grease or not :)

Mix together your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves) and add a pinch of salt. -- I bought fresh cloves and crushed them myself, I love the smell of fresh cloves! 

Beat together your butter and sugar until fluffy. 

Add to your butter mix your egg, molasses, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix until well combined. 

Gradually stir in the flour mixture until well mixed. 

Roll out little balls (about the size of a bouncy ball) and place on your baking sheet. 

Bake for about 10-12 minutes each. If you want softer cookies, bake for 8 minutes. 


Alternatively, once you've rolled the dough into balls, you can also then coat with a sugar / cinnamon mix for a little extra sweetness on top. 

Bon appetit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment